When we first launched the GlobaliD Wallet powered by Uphold back in June of 2020, the goal was clear. Our vision has always been that anyone, anywhere should be able to create and own their self-sovereign digital identity. And along with that identity, they should get a wallet, providing them access to basic financial services.
These are the bare necessities of anyone trying to operate in the modern world, and the release of the original GlobaliD Wallet was a huge step toward achieving that vision.
But there have also been limitations when it comes to wallet access, where users living in certain countries or states have not been able to participate in the full GlobaliD experience. This is no fault of Uphold, which continues to expand its services to more and more jurisdictions. Instead, it’s the nature of any custodial offering in a highly regulated space.
What we’ve learned over the last two years is that in order to truly achieve our vision, we need to transition to a non-custodial solution for the GlobaliD Wallet. That way, anyone who creates an identity with GlobaliD can get a non-custodial GlobaliD Wallet.
Beyond access, moving to a non-custodial solution gives us more control over our own destiny with exciting prospects for new products and features — including future debit card programs. It also means our users will be able to own and control their money along with their identity, furthering our mission toward building a more self-sovereign future.
So what will these changes look like?
1. Effective July 15, 2022, you will need to access your wallet directly through Uphold rather than GlobaliD. Rest assured, the contents of your wallet won’t change.
- On July 15, 2022, the GlobaliD Wallet powered by Uphold will be removed from the GlobaliD app.
- GlobaliD Wallet users will still be able to access their wallet through Uphold’s website and app.
- If you don’t have separate login credentials with Uphold, use the email address associated with your GlobaliD to login to Uphold using the “forgot password” flow to establish a password there.
2. The new non-custodial GlobaliD Wallet will soft launch in the near future — stay tuned.
- This is still a work in progress and will be a staggered release so stay tuned, but this will be a pivotal step towards achieving our vision of providing anyone, anywhere with an identity and a wallet.
3. Debit card programs tied to the custodial GlobaliD Wallet including the GlobaliD and XRP Mastercard® Debit Card will cease operation on July 15, 2022.
- As both of these debit cards are tied to the custodial GlobaliD Wallet powered by Uphold, they will also cease operation on July 15, 2022.
- We have plans for future card programs, but it’s too early to discuss those details at this time.
- XRP Rewards will be ending along with the debit card program. Your XRP Rewards will continue to accumulate through July 15 and will be available in your Uphold account after the card program ends.
4. The XRP Army Group on GlobaliD will live on.
- Despite the XRP Card program ending, we will continue to support the XRP Army Group on GlobaliD.
- As a core group of early adopters on the platform that have made a huge contribution to GlobaliD’s ongoing success, we will continue to engage with the XRP Army Group. Group members will receive exclusive early access to new products and features such as the new non-custodial GlobaliD Wallet and potential future card and rewards programs.
Making these changes wasn’t an easy decision, but we believe that it’s the right strategic move in order to build a best-in-class identity and wallet offering for a more inclusive and equitable future.
In the coming weeks we will be announcing and releasing new tools, like our aforementioned non-custodial wallet as well as new privacy-preserving ways for people to use their identity. If you’d like to stay up to date on these and future card releases, subscribe to our GlobaliD Insider newsletter.
If you have more questions about this change, your wallet, or your card, you can refer to the FAQ below. If you have additional questions, please reach out to our Customer Care team.
For questions regarding your Uphold wallet, you can reach out to Uphold Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is this happening?
- Over the last two years we’ve learned that in order to truly achieve our vision of self-sovereign identity and inclusive finance, we need to transition to a non-custodial solution for the GlobaliD Wallet. The initial non-custodial solution will not support a card program at launch.
What happens to my funds in my wallet?
- Your funds are safe. You will be able to access them directly through the Uphold mobile or web application. You will not be able to access them via GlobaliD after July 15th.
What happens to my rewards?
- All of your paid-out rewards will be accessible via Uphold in the Portfolio section. Click the dropdown next to “XRP” and you will see “Reward — XRP.”
What happens to the money that was funding my card?
- All of your funds will still be available through Uphold in the Portfolio section.
What do I do with my card?
- The card will stop working on July 15th, 2022. After that point, you will no longer be able to use it to make payments or collect new rewards and are free to dispose of the card if you wish to do so.
How do I access my Uphold account?
- From the Uphold website, you can log in with the email address you registered with GlobaliD. If you don’t have a password, click on “Forgot password?” and proceed with Uphold’s password recovery flow to create a password. You will now be able to access your Uphold account with your email and password.
How do I use my Uphold wallet?
Do I need to do anything to disconnect the XRP card or close it?
- No. After July 15th the card will automatically deactivate.
Will GlobaliD support a card program in the future?
- We are looking into different ways to support card programs on the new non-custodial GlobaliD Wallet, but there are currently no short-term plans to start supporting this feature. If you’d like to stay up to date on product updates and future card releases, subscribe to our GlobaliD Insider newsletter.